Jules' Inklings

A space for the unique assortment of topics that I find interesting, relevant or funny. But rarely all three at once.

Friday, September 05, 2008

Google It
Thoughts from weeks 27 and 28 (update: I am currently 31 - oh! both "weeks pregnant" and that's my age. weird.)

Week 27

Just sitting here at my desk this Monday afternoon, in my new-as-of-last-week set-up (one that allows me to put my feet up during the day), I could feel my son kicking off and on again. It’s an enjoyable distraction, and I sometimes type with one hand so I can use the other hand to feel his kicks. Then in my lower abdomen, the opposite end of where I had just felt him kick, I started to feel a rhythmic tapping. Once every second or two. It wasn’t as strong as a kick, but something was clearly going on in there. I started to wonder – that couldn’t be hiccups, could it? If it was, it wasn’t exactly what I was expecting hiccups to feel like. They were so close together and so light. Thank you trusty Google, which received my query: “what do baby hiccups feel like?” with eagerness to return me an answer! Various postings across the internet confirmed, I was feeling hiccups!

It feels to me like tiny little taps as well. like every 2 seconds.

I have been feeling this rhythmic movement (every few seconds) for about 2 weeks now. I didn't know what it was until I read in my 27-week email from babycenter.com that it was probably hiccups. I was like, "oh, that's what's going on in there." I told my DH it felt like a little drummer boy in there.

It felt smaller than a kick, and it was so regular--like every 2-3 seconds. More frequent than a person would hiccup.

Hiccups feel like slight kicks with 1-second gaps, it almost feels like our heartbeat. but you'll actually know its hiccups, it happens in your lower abdomen because the baby's head is down.


Week 28
One and only one thing determines if my hands and feet swell up – THE WEATHER! I discovered this was true, when last week we had a wonderful snap from our normal heat and humidity. It was going down into the 50s at night, and hitting about 80 during the day, with low humidity. My rings were sliding around my finger again, and my ankles had returned to a normal size. What happened when it heated back up? You got it. One way ticket back to Cankle Town. I kept doing all the same things – drinking lots of water, putting my feet up at my new desk arrangement, and even continuing my experiment with grapefruit juice. Only the weather changed. I can drink water til I’m peeing a river – I’m sure it’s good for me, but it doesn’t help the swelling one iota (or at least not all the iotas I need). Sure, putting my feet up HELPS, but it’s not a cure-all. This is made obvious when I wake up in the morning and I’m still a little swollen. So, until the fall weather decides to greet us for the long haul, I think I’m stuck with these things.

In the spirit of the Summer Games in Beijing, this week our baby is the size of a Chinese cabbage.

2 Comments:

  • At 9/06/2008 10:02 PM, Blogger Alison said…

    Yay for the homestretch! Which probably feels A LOT different than the homestretch of one of your runs.:) I hope all us well with you, friend, and I can't wait to hear your thoughts on motherhood.:)

     
  • At 9/10/2008 10:17 AM, Blogger Abigail said…

    Hey - found you! ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home