Jules' Inklings

A space for the unique assortment of topics that I find interesting, relevant or funny. But rarely all three at once.

Friday, July 25, 2008

Cankles and Punk Rawk Shows
Thoughts from Week 18
A heat wave worthy of August has swept thru in early June. Hitting 90 or more every day, it feels like the dog days have hit us early. Also hitting early for me are swollen ankles which have appeared this week. Thankfully, I have found that the more I can keep them up while sitting, I can control their girth. Also seeming to help are drinking a lot, doing some type of exercise each day, and a nice combo of being on my feet and sitting (too much of one or the other, they say, is not good.) I find swollen ankles to be so unsightly, I relish the sight of my normal, slender ones when I see them! (maybe because it's the only remaining "slender" part of me, hmm?)

I can still climb the stairs two at a time. I discover this when I really have to go to the bathroom and the downstairs one is occupied.

This weekend Andy built a fire pit in our backyard. So Sunday night we (he) built a fire, and we grilled hot dogs and marshmallows. Hurley laid under my chair and Elsa stayed on the deck (they are both semi-afraid of the fire, but obviously Elsa more so). It was perfect. Not that we won’t do those types of things with a baby, but I’m just enjoying the quiet moments with just the two of us.

This Saturday we also went out to Ichthus for the evening. Despite torrential rains the night before, which had cancelled the entire evening’s program, the weather was great. We hung out with Melissa, Chris and Anna. The highlight was MxPx taking the Deep End stage at 11:30. I have not seen them live in 3 years and it was great to see them again – like seeing old friends. It was surreal, as a pregnant woman, standing out in a grassy field at midnight, listening to loud punk rock music, wondering if the baby could feel Mike's bass in his protected haven. Surreal, but awesome. I love to see my long-time favorite band weave itself back into the moments of my changing life.

This week our baby is the size of a bell pepper.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home