Jules' Inklings

A space for the unique assortment of topics that I find interesting, relevant or funny. But rarely all three at once.

Monday, July 14, 2008

Puppy Dog Tails
On Sunday afternoon, my friend Shannan and I went shopping and browsing for decoration ideas for the baby's room. I've already purchased a bedding set- a compromise, if you will, of Andy's and my tastes - at a steal. I also know what colors I want to paint the walls. Based on the style and colors of the bedding (plaids and stripes of navy, baby blue, white, red and khaki), there were two potential "theme" paths the decor could go down that I wanted to avoid - nautical and Americana. But knowing where I didn't want to go still left a broad unknown expanse for where I did want to go. Shannan was a great help and I trust her judgment, besides the fact that she's just fun to shop with. We even roamed around Babies 'R' Us, because it's on the other side of Lexington, and I hadn't even been in there since I've been pregnant. This trip to BRU probably only worsened my case of baby consumerism disdain (not to mention my state of overwhelmed-ness), but it was still kinda fun nonetheless.

After Shannan had to go on to her book club meeting, I continued solo to Burlington Coat Factory. I knew they had a large baby section, called Baby Depot, but I had not been in there myself yet. Left free to roam by myself, I leisurely looked over a lot of stuff - including a lot of adorable baby clothes. I do this in almost any store I go in on a regular basis that has a baby section - Wal-mart, Target, Kohl's, etc. And let me tell you, I have amazing restraint. Knowing that people love to buy baby clothes, I have reminded myself to focus on buying the stuff that other people won't or can't pick out for you. With all of the sage wisdom and maturity I can muster, I've walked out of baby department upon baby department, feeling fulfilled enough with just browsing and dreaming. Until this point, I have allowed myself one indulgence - a blue & white striped onesie that says "My heart belongs to mommy," purchased the week we found out it was a boy. It was $3.

On Sunday, I was on my way out of Burlington, the last store of the day, and almost home free. Then, I saw this, and all resolve melted faster than a cup of sugar in hot water. I am a SUCKER for babies and kids in sleepers - footed, fuzzy, one-piece pajamas that button all the way up the front.
When we were growing up, we called them zuzuits. At least that's how I pronounced and spelled it (once I could spell). I learned much later on that the reason we called them such, was because my parents had a grown-up joke between themselves that the sleepers looked like zoot suits. Not knowing what the heck a zoot suit was, throw in a little lazy Pittsburghese speech, and us kids called them zuzuits, mostly unaware that the rest of the world had no idea what we were talking about.

There on the rack was a blue and brown striped fuzzy zuzuit with a little puppy embroidered on the side. I knew instantly that if my tiny little baby boy were to wear this outfit, I would never be able to stop snuggling him. It took a moment of debating before my heart beat out my practicality. Out came the debit card, and I shelled out $10 for something he will surely outgrow in 3.5 seconds.

But I do not care. You only have your first baby once. And I promise not to abuse that somewhat valid rationalization.

2 Comments:

  • At 7/14/2008 3:20 PM, Blogger Becky said…

    $10 outfits are nothing.. please pray that you can borrow my baptism outfit (Sizing/season) when/if y'all baptize little one. you WON'T want to know how much I paid for it, nor will you want to buy one. (Of course, all this is moot if you have an heirloom one!)

     
  • At 7/14/2008 3:20 PM, Blogger Becky said…

    i, too... was a sucker for stripes & puppies. many of these will come your way soon.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home