Jules' Inklings

A space for the unique assortment of topics that I find interesting, relevant or funny. But rarely all three at once.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Eating for Two, Michael Phelps Style
Thoughts from Week 23
One of the most sound, realistic bits of advice I have been given, which completely shuns popular thought is this: No, you’re not eating for two. You’re eating for yourself and one itty, bitty baby.

Technically, yes, that is two, although a common understanding is two full-grown adults. So not true. And yet, infinitely more times than I have heard this practical advice, I have heard the devil on my left shoulder – in the form of friends, coworkers and family – practically admonish me when I try show restraint over eating some sweet or going for seconds, “But you’re eating for two!” I have no doubt I have done this to other pregnant women in the past. And what with all the cravings and constant hunger pangs hitting me from the front and the back, it’s really not helping the “don’t blow up into a cow” cause.

It all brings up an interesting subject of body image during pregnancy. Before ever becoming pregnant, there was nothing cuter to me than a chubby pregnant woman with a big round belly. I rolled my eyes at those who would say, “I’m sure sitting next to me makes you feel great, since I’m as big as house right now!” Actually, never once did a woman who was growing another human being inside of her, EVER make me feel better for my own flabby belly or cellulite infused thighs. Please. For every pregnant woman who complained about her size, I had a placating smile and pat on the arm ready to go. “But you’re pregnant. You look adorable, really.” I fully expected to eagerly welcome my own pregnant body. I admit it, I have even been known to stuff a pillow or two up my shirt in my day – just to imagine what pregnant Julie might look like. (Stop judging – you know you did it, too.) I just couldn’t wait, and I looked forward to nine full months of not worrying about every little thing I ate and how it made me look in my jeans.

But in all honesty, embracing my new body image was a much harder challenge than I ever would have expected. People, including my husband at the top of the list, looove to tell me how cute I am, now that I’m pregnant. I would confidently say that people lavish more compliments on your appearance while pregnant than at ANY other time in your life. So, I’m not lacking for encouragement, that’s for sure. But for every compliment, there’s always a doubt – am I showing too soon? Should my arms really be this fat? They’re not carrying the baby! Are my ankles swollen under the pressure of my girth, or because it’s hot out and I consumed too much sodium today?

It’s a self-image challenge that I am dealing with day-by-day. I can happily tell you that I am thrilled to be pregnant, glow when people tell me I look great, and generally feel loved and happy about my so-far healthy pregnancy. But let’s just say, I now fully appreciate what it’s like on this side of the stretchy panelled jeans.

1 Comments:

  • At 9/04/2008 12:02 PM, Blogger Pete said…

    Growing up I learned that the more the scale changed the healthier the pregnancy would be.

    Fairly simplistic? Sure, but it made sense to my 10 year old mind, and it still makes sense to me now.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home