Jules' Inklings

A space for the unique assortment of topics that I find interesting, relevant or funny. But rarely all three at once.

Wednesday, April 21, 2004

Life Is Never Boring
Tomorrow (Thursday) begins what promises to be some very unconventional and interesting days in my life. A throw back from my recent past, but with a new twist, Ichthus starts tomorrow. A particpant only at first, I then spent several years on the festival committee running the sales tent and basically reeking havoc on a golf cart. This year I've got a press pass from Good News and with Steve-o in Vegas (that's Las Vegas, not Nick Vegas) I'm the one responsible for covering this event for the magazine (yikes :-/). Which means I'm the one in the press tent with Relient K and Switchfoot... bands I respect for their music, lyrics... and cute boys. Let's just hope I can keep it together and ask some semblence of an interesting, thoughtful question.

Bring on Friday and the beginnings of my BIG race. Wait Julie, didn't you just run a big race a few weeks ago? Yes, I know I'm confusing everyone. I did run a 10-mile race in Louisville 2 weeks ago (check me out!), but this Saturday is the big, BIG one. It's been the focus of my training and my fundraising. Props and hugs to everyone who supported me with their gifts, encouraging words and prayers. The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society has stronger legs to run on thanks to you. Friday night kicks off with a pasta party for all the participants. I will testify to the fact that pre-race pasta provides you with those great carbs that your body is digging down to find when you feel just spent. The race begins at 7:30 Saturday morning (ouch! I thought it was 8!), and I'll be all decked out in my purple Team in Training jersey, and bearing the names of all the wonderful people I'm running in honor/memory of. 13.1 miles, baby - bring it on. I promise to post and let everyone know how it went - wish me luck!

Monday I leave for General Conference '04 in my kickin' hometown of Pittsburgh. General Conference is like the Olympics for the United Methodist church. (When I said this in small group last night, Kara said with a confused look on her face, "you mean, you like, compete?") No, Kara-boo, no sports. :) BUT, this only happens every four years and delegates arrive from all over the world, spending two weeks hashing out the do and don'ts for the entire denomination for the next four years. Yeah, it's big stuff for them. Lots of people with strong differing opinions, desperate to make their point heard. Apparently people get arrested every year - I can't wait. I will do my best to post with all the juicy details.

To my Kentucky people - I will miss you dearly while I'm gone. In fact, I'm a little sad now and I haven't even left yet. To my Pittsburgh homeys... I can't wait to see you. I hope that two weeks in my city gives me back my accent and therefore my hometown cred. Now, hows abaht leavin' me a comment, or get ahta 'ere. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home