Jules' Inklings

A space for the unique assortment of topics that I find interesting, relevant or funny. But rarely all three at once.

Tuesday, March 30, 2004

Of Worms and Women
I need to blog, because it’s been too long. But it’s been too long because I haven’t had any recent inspiration. So I decided to just start writing. If you write, it will come. Or so I’m hoping.

I ran in the rain yesterday. Why? Because I had to run and it was raining. I’m house/dog-sitting in Lexington, so I didn’t have access to my usual Luce Center indoor track for such occasions. So why did I have to run yesterday? Because, as most of you know, I’m training for a half marathon on April 24th (less than 4 weeks away!) Plus, I skipped my run on Sunday. Why did I skip my run on Sunday? (Man, you guys ask a lot of freakin' questions.) Because it was sunny and 83 degrees, aka “too hot” for running (or so my cold climate-adapted body/mind told me at the time). So on Monday, I was stuck running in the rain and wind at 30 degrees cooler, desperately trying not to squish any worms because I’m girly like that. Yeah, it doesn’t make any sense to me either. Luckily I had two friends, Peter and Jason, to help pass the time. Somehow when you’re doing something this pseudo-crazy, doing it with others makes it infinitely more bearable. No longer a torturous experience – you’ve now made a memory that will grow in embellishment and fondness over the years. Both days and years from now over coffee, lunches, office chatter… you’ll be able to make passing references sound like there was a time when all you did was run in the rain.

“You don’t need a coat. We used to run in freezing rain in nothing but a t-shirt and shorts.”
“Oh listen to this! My friend Jason told me the funniest joke. So we were out for a jog and it was raining and he goes…”
“Oh you’ve started running? Do you ever run in the rain, because I actually prefer it to running on sunny days.”
“Hey Peter (loudly with other people in earshot), remember when we were running in the rain, and we saw that really cool (insert something interesting and completely unrelated)?”

Just think - years of bragging rights, exaggerated stories, and party anecdotes. And we were done in under an hour. Next time the weather keeps you from doing something, think about how “so then I sat down to watch TV for a bit” sounds as an opening to a story. And remember–I’m just a regular girl who tries not to step on the worms. What’s holding YOU back?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home