Jules' Inklings

A space for the unique assortment of topics that I find interesting, relevant or funny. But rarely all three at once.

Monday, February 09, 2004

I have to say, THANK GOODNESS Evanescence won best new artist at the Grammy's last night. I mean, come on... Sean Paul, 50 Cent, Fountains of Wayne? Sorry Heather Headley - I don't know who you are, but I won't knock you for my own ignorance there. But I know the rest of them and I was not impressed. Was this seriously the best new talent we had to offer this year? What a pathetic year. And where's my boy Jason Mraz? Maybe next year, buddy. The funniest and best carried out presentation of the night was John Mayer and Matthew Perry doing their bit on breaking up just a few minutes before backstage because of "musical differences." For the most part though, most of the two and three person presentations left me cringing and red-faced on someone's behalf. Goodness gracious, whoever said these people were performers? I could go on forever about what should have been, but I'll end on this note. I appreciate the academy's desire to always pair legendary artists with new, fresh talent for the performances. The old-timers who have put in their dues - some with very little recognition over the years - get their props, while the audience stays duly entertained. But of all the performances last night - some more contrived than others - none was as unnecessary and unequally yoked as Sean Paul and Sting singing (I use the term loosely for Sean Paul) Roxanne. Nothing was added to the performance by Sean Paul's presence and it just felt awkward.

For a full list of the winners, click here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home