Jules' Inklings

A space for the unique assortment of topics that I find interesting, relevant or funny. But rarely all three at once.

Friday, February 06, 2004

“In transforming culture so that it supports life, women occupy a place, in thought and action, which is unique and decisive. It depends on them to promote a ‘new feminism’ that rejects the temptation of imitating models of ‘male domination,’ in order to acknowledge and affirm the true genius of women in every aspect of the life of society, and overcome all discrimination, violence and exploitation.” - Pope John Paul II

Amen, brother. (Do you think the Pope would've let me call him brother?) The problem I have nowadays with most feminist views is this desire to "do everything a man does." Why can't we just be celebrated and respected - men and women alike - for what we can do well? I don't want to be man or necessarily be treated like one. I just want to be ME and all the good and the bad that goes along with that. There are many innate gifts I have that are (generally speaking) unique to women. I have gifts that are often considered to be reserved for men. Also there are things that as a woman, I am expected to excel at, which in fact I actually suck at. (Just being honest kids.) I am, like most people, just seeking to be respected and appreciated for what I can do well, as I in turn will cherish people for what they have to offer. I do not expect any given woman to live up to everything that any given man can do, or vice versa. I just expect each person to desire to make the most out of the gifts God has given them. I hope that I truly live this out in my day-to-day interactions.

“I am no man.” – Eowyn, defeating the Witch King of the Nazgul, whom no man can kill

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home