Jules' Inklings

A space for the unique assortment of topics that I find interesting, relevant or funny. But rarely all three at once.

Monday, February 02, 2004

This morning the power went out here in our little town of Wilmore - ALL OVER TOWN. Something about a transformer blowing. I'm not sure how one little (or big) thing can affect the power supply for the entire town, but that is what happened. So we had an unexpected 4 hour break in our workday. In light of that welcome surprise, I'd like to make a toast to cozy unplanned naps on an otherwise cold and bleak Monday.

I would be remiss if I did not put forth my own two cents about the "special guest" that made her appearance during the Super Bowl Halftime show last night. Everyone is claiming it was a mistake - a "wardrobe malfunction" if you will (I'll my hat if Justin Timberlake ACTUALLY said those words). Now all I've seen was the brief moment when it happened. I don't have TIVO, and I haven't scoured the web for a picture of the moment (there must be one out there somewhere). So I can't say for sure if that was a piercing she had, as some claim, or if she was actually wearing a "pastie" (a word that if I don't have to hear it again for the rest of my life, I will not cry about it). If in fact though, she was wearing some diamond studded pastie - then I believe that negates every claim of innocence that all parties involved are making. Who would ever wear that if they did NOT plan on removing a portion of their clothing? So, if it is true - and that spectacular explosion at the end of that train wreck of a halftime show was intentional - then I am SORELY disappointed. What a sad, desperate attempt to one-up your equally pathetic girlie-kissin' ex-girlfriend. And to do so at the hands of one of the largest (unsuspecting) television audiences? Well, I feel used. Take over MTV, HBO, Showtime... I don't care. At least people know what they're getting when they turn on those networks. But way to take what has up until now remained a fairly wholesome American tradition and turn it into a stage for your unimaginative, offensive antics. And in the name of what - "pushing the envelope?" Give me a break. Simply because you are pop stars does not give you the right to tarnish a harmless family-centric entertainment event. I mean come on - there's not that many of them left. I am no prude and I do not offend easily. I do not have children of my own to make me increasingly sensitive to the content streaming through our television sets. But on behalf of every mother and father out there who surely thought the Super Bowl was safe from the need to "internally monitor" - I am outraged for you.

Prior to last night, arguably the two most talked about people in pop culture had been Britney Spears and Michael Jackson. Between girl-on-girl kisses, Las Vegas weddings, and infamous bathroom breaks, Britney and Michael were tearing up the presses with their pathetic "look at me" moments. I guess if anyone could grow jealous of the attention, it would be the younger sister and the ex-boyfriend. Well, congratulations Janet and Justin - you've managed to reach a new low and temporarily stolen their thunder. Do the world a favor though and leave us out of it next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home