Jules' Inklings

A space for the unique assortment of topics that I find interesting, relevant or funny. But rarely all three at once.

Tuesday, February 17, 2004

I Stand Corrected
I just read a great article in the January 26 issue of Newsweek that is causing me to bite my tongue. A week ago I posted on the "lost art" of crocheting and knitting. Surely no one these days under the age of 65 is knitting anything anymore. Well, an article called "Rock-and-Roll Knitters" just proved me wrong. Because of copyrights and Newsweek's annoying sign-up fee, I can't reproduce the article here (or even link to anything), but I can tell you about it. Debbie Stroller, a feminist author, faced many incredulous friends when she told them she had taken up knitting a few years ago. Apparently, knitting wasn't "feminist" enough for them. In true fashion to her ethos, Debbie essentially said, "Screw it," and founded her own knitting club in her Manhattan apartment called "Stitch 'N Bitch." Similar groups have spun off in Chi-town and LA, and "Stitch 'N Bitch: The Knitter's Handbook" (Workman Publishing) is now in it's fifth printing. In it you can refine your skills by making a cell-phone cozy or a punk-rock backpack, as well as a skull-and-crossbones sweater. "Crafting is the new rock and roll, baby," Stroller told Newsweek.

You've gotta love that feminist spirit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home