Jules' Inklings

A space for the unique assortment of topics that I find interesting, relevant or funny. But rarely all three at once.

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Crazy Pound Pup


Elsa, The dog who exceeds my limitations

"Her name was Lola, she was a showgirl..." Oh wait. I didn't name my new pound pup after a Barry Manilow song. Nor did I name her after my favorite female tv character from my adult life, Sydney Bristow (Alias). Or my favorite Jane Austen heroine, Eliza Bennet. Not to mention the many different hometown (Pittsburgh) references I (and others) came up with... Heinz, Rooney, Schenley, Hela (2 points to whoever figures this one out first), and Tanner. But a) none seemed to fit her and b) I wanted no confusion over whether she was a girl or a boy.

Instead, I'm referencing a lesser known song by Jason Mraz, Curbside Prophet. Not because I love this song (which I do), or because people will get it (which they won't), but simply because the name chose her. There were so many other names that carried more meaning and weight for me, but they just didn't belong to her. Her name is Elsa, and I can't deny it anymore.

Cause I’m tourin’ around the nation on extended vacation
See I got Elsa the dog who exceeds my limitations
I say, “I like your style, crazy pound pup!
You need a ride? Well come on girl hop in the truck"

5 Comments:

  • At 3/01/2006 2:50 PM, Blogger JCo said…

    Jules,

    What a sweet dog! I can't wait to meet her! :-) Maybe Elsa and Pablo can make friends.

    JMO

     
  • At 3/01/2006 3:30 PM, Blogger Pete said…

    Good name Julie.

    Now my only question is who is favorite female tv character from your childhood?

     
  • At 3/01/2006 3:38 PM, Blogger Jules said…

    Quite possibly Daisy Duke. And the family dog is already named after her... Daisy Duke Weber. I had the toy white Jeep and everything. Luckily I didn't model my fashion (or unluckily? I'll let you decide that) and behavior after said character. Sydney Bristow would have been a way better childhood role model for a young girl.

    Of course I also really liked Punky Brewster, the whole crew from Facts of Life, Wonder Woman (had the underoos) and Carol from Growing Pains. It's a tough call.

     
  • At 3/02/2006 11:36 AM, Blogger Jules said…

    Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Because there are no other points being handed out, Teri automatically wins my made up game with a total of TWO POINTS!

    Karis definitely gets an honorable mention for reminding me about the Mraz song. I had completely forgotten about it, thinking that I had just "made up" Elsa on my own. Karis you might actually be the winner, because she ended up with that name, but because I didn't assign a point value to that initially, Teri needs to remain the winner technically. Hey, I know a little bit of something about good officiating. Good job Teri AND Karis!

     
  • At 3/02/2006 1:52 PM, Blogger CGrim said…

    Extra bonus: now you also have a stash of future names to select from.

    Austen and Bristow, especially, would be great dog names.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home