Jules' Inklings

A space for the unique assortment of topics that I find interesting, relevant or funny. But rarely all three at once.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

A Camera and An Idea
So, my latest project is to make a homemade documentary about my Mummum's house. The last of 13 children, she was literally born IN the house (on the second floor) that her father built, raised her own family there, and as of next month, will be moving out forever. Sadly, the house is then going on the market, left to the whims of a stranger. Because I know just enough about Final Cut Pro to be dangerous, I brainstormed the documentary idea while in a meeting I probably should have been paying attention to. I'm currently in the process of rounding up information from my family. My cousin just sent me this starter list of her memories from the house. I loved these and thought I'd share them, at least until I get around to sharing my own list. Perhaps this sounds a lot like your own memories from your grandparents house.

- riding my bike into the creek

- playing hide and go seek outside (and getting stung by a bee on the lip -- gee, why do these all involve pain??!!) :)

- playing basketball down in the lower lot

- staying overnight and sleeping on the couch, being terrified that someone was coming up the cellar stairs (it was just the furnace running!!)

- the turtle candy jar

- doing puzzles on the table

- on the subject of the table, what's with the 20 layers of tablecloths?

- STAR WARS EVERY SINGLE CHRISTMAS!

- the Christmas tablecloth

- playing Atari on the TV in the kitchen

- the old comic books in the dining room cupboard

2 Comments:

  • At 2/28/2006 11:14 PM, Blogger Eric said…

    This sounds like a great idea. I'm going to think about doing this myself, except maybe a documentary of my actual grandmother instead of the house. Not that the house isn't special in its own right. In fact, I hope it doesn't leave the family anytime soon.

    Where is your grandmother's house?

    Good luck with your project.

     
  • At 3/01/2006 2:30 PM, Blogger Jules said…

    It's on the northeast side of Pittsburgh, on a narrow, steep, windy street named Kittanning St. Even though it's... 6?... miles outside of the city with lots of hills in between, you can see the top of the city skyline from the highest point on her street. Her dad built it in 1902, it's got 4 stories (including the basement, which comes out on ground level in the back) and chock full of memories and stories. I just love it. I'm heading up there this weekend (for the first time since the Super Bowl, sniff sniff), and whilst it is 70 here today, weather.com promises me snow in Pittsburgh on Saturday. Nice. Here's to a successful shoot! (biting nails)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home