Jules' Inklings

A space for the unique assortment of topics that I find interesting, relevant or funny. But rarely all three at once.

Monday, December 12, 2005

Christmas Controversy

A so-called "megachurch," my church garnered national attention this week. It was negative attention, and I can tell you that we didn't ask for it. A good many in the media, from CNN to Good Morning America, picked up the story that Southland, along with other large churches across the country, have decided to not hold services on Christmas Day. Being a church that requires 300+ volunteers just to make a day of services happen, that could be reason enough for me, although it's certainly not the only one. Although our senior pastor, Jon Weece, received nasty emails upon emails from very angry people--mostly those not from our church, and who know nothing about us--he declined all major interviews. Instead, he answered each and every email personally, and in love, and addressed his congregation this past Sunday from stage. I could go on forever about it, but I think Jon says it better than I ever could. I stand behind him and our elders and the decision they made. While I plan on attending church on Christmas morning with my family in Pittsburgh, I have no doubt that Southland made the right decision for Southland.

CNN's story.

Listen to Jon Weece's December 11 address to the Southland congregation. It's kind of long, but it gets really good near the end if you want to skip to that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home