Jules' Inklings

A space for the unique assortment of topics that I find interesting, relevant or funny. But rarely all three at once.

Thursday, December 08, 2005

Random Employee Story of the Month

My co-worker, Steve Thorson (Thor), contributed the following for our company internal newsletter (Balance: Blurring the line between professional and relational). Because I'm not getting around to writing anymore about our trip myself--and because this was so funny--I asked him if I could post it. He said no, but I pretty much do what I want anyways. ( Just kidding - he said yes.)

As you all know, Peter, Julie, and I represented Cre8tive Group in Mississippi two weeks ago. The relief efforts were headed up by Mark Troyer (aka “Dirty Bird,” as Julie liked to call him). A seemingly wise decision, Mark Troyer decided that the safest way to navigate the town of Pass Christian would be by way of “adult” drivers. Allow me to define this word:

Adult (n.) - One who is not enrolled in academic courses. Commonly misused as: One who has attained a high level of driving maturity, ability, or awareness.

Being that most of the volunteers on this trip were Asbury students, at any given time 24 of them were subject to riding with our three older, but not necessarily better-driving, 8G representatives. Though no one was seriously harmed, I’ll recount a few close calls:

• One day after lunch, I gathered my team and headed towards our van. As excited as I was to get back to work, I imagined that my team, inspired by their leader’s zeal and eagerness to serve, would be fervently clawing their way into the van as to not waste one precious second. On this note I jumped into the van, cranked the engine, and tromped the gas, only to be halted by the screaming of a student hanging out of the side door. Apparently she was only half-way motivated to get back to the job, because only half of her had gotten into the van before it took off.


Thor with some of his team (victim still in tact) over lunch.


• “Hold on everyone!” was a phrase that was often heard in Peter’s van a few moments before his off-road-machine went hurling over some mountainous railroad track or hunk of washed out street. “Everyone thinks I’m a bad driver, but I'm a fun driver; it’s kind of like a Disney ride,” I remember him saying. On our last day, in a final attempt to ramp the Menge Street railroad crossing, Peter managed to hit the bulge in the road with such momentum that one of his passengers flew out of his seat and into the ceiling.



Peter scheming up another railroad jump, outside the food tent.


• Not only did Julie find a way to back directly into a telephone pole, but a few days later she also succeeded in making enemies with some guys on the freeway that were quite possibly on their way to murder someone. Fortunately, the thugs pulled their glass bottles instead of their Nines. Julie and her caravan escaped unscathed.


Despite the accident, Julie's team still thought she was a better driver than Peter.

Though many could have perished on account of your well-meaning 8G drivers, all students were returned safely to their dorms, and the three of us returned in good spirits and ready to collect our week’s paid vacation. Oh, and Peter and I were wondering, Chad, if we could take the Pathfinder to pick-up that slot machine in Ohio?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home