Jules' Inklings

A space for the unique assortment of topics that I find interesting, relevant or funny. But rarely all three at once.

Monday, January 10, 2005

My Pap
On December 29, 2004, my grandpap's 78th birthday, he passed away unexpectedly from a heart attack. Sometime in the last year, I had written about losing my dog and that being the hardest loss I had ever experienced. Wow, does that seem trite now. He was by no means young, but unfortunately I had still be operating under the naive assumption that I'd have all my loved ones forever. His passing was an unpleasant wake-up call. He was a wonderful man, husband, dad and Pap. He dutifully served as a police officer for over 40 years, an occupation that made him eternally cool with both his kids and grandkids. He was so funny, loving, protecting and unselfish. His faith and quiet example are the reason I have such an amazing family today. In searching for silver linings, I can honestly say that it was a blessing that I had not yet left to return to Kentucky after Christmas. Not only did I get to kiss him and tell him I loved him the night before he passed, but I got to be with my family immediately, rather than making the long, emotional trip by myself. Another blessing was that God granted me a few moments of composure when I got up to share at his memorial service. For the many who didn't get to hear my little tribute to him, here it is.

Most of you know the man we are remembering here today as Bill Flora. Maybe to some it's Uncle Bill or Mr. Flora, and to a very few of you, it's Dad. But to me and three other people on this planet, his name was Pap. I told my mom last night that I remember clear as day being a little kid and thinking that his first name was actually Pap. Don't get me wrong - I understood the concept of grandparents having nicknames, and then having real names that adults used with them. But not my Pap - his first name was actually Pap. How lucky is that?! :-)

You might not have known my Pap the way I did, so let me tell you a little bit about him.

It was my Pap who started feeding me chewing gum practically before I could talk. Literally one of my first words was "gum," as I'd stand looking up to him, hand outstretched pleading for my favorite treat, "Gum, gum, gum..."

It was my Pap who started the famous family chant at Christmas when someone gave a particularly good gift. "Bud! Bud! Bud!..."

It was my Pap who sold us my very first car at a very reasonable price ;-) and who always reminded me to fill up with gas when it got to half a tank.

It was my Pap who consistently encouraged me to stay in the slow lane on the road, but who helped to push me forward in life.

My Pap regularly kept an eye on the weather in Kentucky, and always wanted a call when I returned safely home to PA.

My Pap never scolded his grandkids for "just being kids," but usually joined us in whatever shananigans we were up to at the time, thus becoming "one of us" and gaining our hard-earned respect.

And just this Christmas my Pap renewed my AAA membership for me, so that even when he couldn't do it himself, he'd know I was taken care of.

My Pap: my personal police officer, protector, gum provider, and friend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home