Jules' Inklings

A space for the unique assortment of topics that I find interesting, relevant or funny. But rarely all three at once.

Thursday, July 22, 2004

I Can Only Imagine
Popular radio show host, Dick Staub, wrote the following about the virtues of imagination as seen through the eyes of C.S. Lewis.

In Lewis' view, conversion often proceeds from imagination to reason and then to the will. As a result, he placed a premium on the imagination once saying, "reason is the natural organ of truth and imagination is the organ of meaning." He believed you could not fully grasp the meaning of a word or idea unless it was associated with an accurate and captivating image.  This is why Lewis' writing, whether fiction or prose, was laced with analogy and imagery.
 
So I guess I shouldn't feel too badly that every elementary school teacher I ever had told my parents that I daydreamed too much.  Unfortunately, I didn't have C.S. Lewis quotes handy at the time. 
Paperback copy of Mere Christianity in 1985: $4. 
A well-placed C.S. Lewis quote from a third grader: Priceless.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home